I have radical friends, I wonder which of these definintions below, they would choose for themselves…
1. of or going to the root or origin; fundamental: a radical difference.
2. thorough going or extreme, esp. as regards change from accepted or traditional forms: a radical change in the policyof a company.
3. favoring drastic political, economic, or
social reforms: radical ideas; radical and anarchistic ideologues.
4. forming a basis or foundation.
5. existing inherently in a thing or person: radical defects of character.
6. Mathematics .
a. pertaining to or forming a root.
b. denoting or pertaining to the radical sign.
c. irrational ( def. 5b ) .
7. Grammar . of or pertaining to a root.
8. Botany . of or arising from the root or the base of the stem.
9. a person who holds or follows strong
convictions or extreme principles; extremist.
10. a person who advocates fundamental political, economic, andsocial reforms by direct and often uncompromising methods.
11. Mathematics .
a. a quantity expressed as a root of another quantity.
b. the set of elements of a ring, some power of which is contained in a given ideal.
12. Chemistry .
a. group ( def. 3 ) .
13. Grammar . root ( def. 11 ) .
14. (in Chinese writing) one of 214 ideographic elements used in combination with phonetics to form thousands of different characters.
Hmm..wonder if I am on a watch list now….I wonder if in the 80’s when people referred to things as being “Rad” that it would ever come to this…